"Enjoy Perfect Tranquility within The Pristine Environment of Rara Lake."
Rara Lake Trekking is one of the most exciting and interesting short adventures. This exotic trek lies in Far Western Nepal. It is within the Karnali zone in the Mugu District. But your walks start from the town and district of Jumla.
Rara Lake Trekking is a scenic and cultural journey. Travelers get plenty to enjoy as the area falls in the off-beaten trails. The trek is less frequented by foreign trekkers. Over the years it has gained popularity among Nepalese as well as western travelers. There are various routes to reach Rara Lake and the country’s smallest park of 106 sq. km. The best short way is to take a flight to the town of Talca which is a small airstrip. Another way is by taking a long overland drive of a few days from Nepalgunj city. We have a set itinerary that involves walking from the town of Jumla. This gives you a wonderful chance to enjoy the culture and the scenery of Far Western Nepal. As it goes past the interesting old historical villages.
Rara Lake Adventure with Trekking Planner Inc. begins with a sweeping scenic flight to reach Nepal's Far South West region. It lies within the sub-tropical and warmer areas of the Terai belt. The flight continues to reach the hill town of Jumla. This is an interesting town and headquarters of the district Jumla itself.
The walk then leads you to an uphill ascent. You will be crossing a few passes known as Bhanjyang in the Nepalese dialect. While trekking you will be facing glorious panoramas of the snow-capped mountain range. The views of Api Himal and Shaipal Himal one of the tallest peaks of the Far West Himalayas range are splendid.
Next, you enter into a lovely forested zone of tall coniferous and deciduous tree lines. From here you will be heading through nice farm villages. This village belongs to the Malla Thakuri Chettries and Rokas. They are the original inhabitants of the country. This is the place where the Nepalese language first originated.
The Rara Lake Trekking continues after heading past many nice farm villages. Passing through the well-tended farm terraces you reach the heart of Rara. The sight of the beautiful shimmering lakes. Enclosed by tiers of green hills and snow-capped mountain range is magical.
You have an extra day to rest and explore around as per the set itinerary. This is a region of beautiful wilderness surrounded by enchanting woodland. The tall pine, spruce, fir, oak, and birch are a treat to watch. The deciduous tree species of Indian horse-chestnut, walnut, and Himalayan poplars are remarkable.
This pristine forested area makes an excellent home for various wildlife species. The Musk Deer, Himalayan Black Bear, Leopard, Goral, Himalayan Thar, and wild boar are a treat to watch. Within the lake, the snow trout is the only fish species recorded and found here. This fish species makes a good diet for the gallinaceous birds and migrant waterfowl. These birds are also quite common in this area.
The sight of great–crested grebe, black-necked grebe, and red-crested pochard is remarkable. The flocks of these migratory birds are found only during the winter season. Other common birds are the snow-cock, chukar partridge, Impeyan pheasant / Danfe. Danfe is the national bird of Nepal with kalij pheasant and blood pheasant.
After spending a mesmerizing time around the scenic Rara Lake our adventure comes to an end. You then will walk towards the highest spot on the hills of Murma. From up above the hill the views of the surrounding environment are incredible.
Finally, our walk ends at the town of Talca. This is your last overnight stop around the Rara country. You will be then taking a sweeping scenic flight back to Kathmandu. It is a journey of a lifetime experience. The memories of the splendid Rara Lake will always remain with you. It will always keep you guessing about its vastness and the height of this largest lake in Nepal. A swooping 10.08 sq. km / 3.90 sq. miles located above 2,990 m and 9,809 ft high is extraordinary.
Why Rara Lake Trekking?
Rara Lake Trekking has various convincing reasons why it should be considered as a trekking destination. Here are some of the main reasons why Rara Lake Trekking is so popular:
- Beautiful and Scenic Trek: Trek through some of the most magnificent and scenic areas of Nepal, including the Rara National Park, which is home to a variety of species, including Himalayan black bears, musk deer, and red pandas. You may also see birds such as the Impeyan pheasant, national bird of Nepal.
- Trek is Challenging but Rewarding: The trek is difficult but rewarding. You'll get to see some incredible landscapes, learn about the local culture, and push yourself physically and intellectually.
- Rich Biodiversity:Rara National Park, which is included in the walking route, has a rich range of vegetation and animals. The deep forests of the park are home to a variety of wildlife, including musk deer, Himalayan black bears, red pandas, and a large diversity of bird species. Rara Lake Trekking allows nature enthusiasts and animal enthusiasts to explore and appreciate Nepal's diverse biodiversity.
- Cultural Encounters: You will pass through traditional villages inhabited by ethnic people while trekking. Interacting with locals gives you a true cultural experience, allowing you to learn about their distinct way of life, traditions, and customs. This cultural immersion enriches your hiking experience and broadens your awareness of the local culture.
- Serenity and Tranquility: Rara Lake is a serene and quiet setting. Its tranquil waters, flanked by the breathtaking Himalayan peaks, provide a sense of peace that is difficult to obtain in more congested regions. The opportunity to camp by the lake and see the starlit sky reflect in the water is an unforgettable experience that provides a sense of calm and relaxation.
In essence, Rara Lake Trekking is a unique and captivating trip that blends unexplored natural beauty, cultural contacts, and a sense of tranquility. Rara Lake Trekking is a wonderful alternative if you want to go off the main route, connect with nature and local populations, and enjoy a peaceful environment.
Preparation for: Rara Lake Trekking.
Rara Lake Trekking is a prominent Nepalese trekking destination recognized for its stunning natural beauty. It is located in the rural Mugu area of western Nepal and provides a unique experience for all trekkers looking for tranquility and pristine surroundings. Here are a few important steps you can take to prepare for the Rara Lake Trekking.
Here are some things you should do to get ready for the Rara Lake Trek:
Get a medical checkup to ensure you are fit to go on the walk.
- Physical Stamina: Begin physically preparing yourself well in advance. The Rara Lake Trek entails several days of walking and ascending/descending high-altitude paths. Regular activity, such as aerobics, strength training, and hiking, will help you enhance your endurance and stamina. Before engaging in any rigorous physical activity, contact with a healthcare practitioner.
- Packing Essentials: Carry proper trekking equipment, such as durable and comfortable hiking boots, trekking poles, a backpack, a sleeping bag, and a high-quality waterproof jacket. Pack lightweight, quick-drying clothing appropriate for the temperature, as well as warm layers for cold evenings. Remember to include sunscreen, sunglasses, a hat, a water bottle, a first-aid kit, bug repellant, and toiletries. Pack energy-boosting foods and water purification pills as well.
- Travel Insurance: Purchase comprehensive travel insurance that includes medical emergencies and helicopter evacuation if necessary.
- Local Culture and Environment Must Be Respected: Learn about local customs and traditions, and respect the local communities and the fragile environment. Follow the Leave No Trace principles by leaving the trails and campsites as clean as you found them.
Remember that safety should always come first on any trekking adventure. For the most up-to-date information and instruction on the Rara Lake Trek, it is best to check with local trekking agencies or experienced trekkers.
Here are some Rara Lake Trek tips:
- Begin slowly and progressively increase your workout intensity.
- Consume plenty of water and follow a healthy diet.
- Be mindful of your altitude and take it easy if you experience altitude sickness.
- Take in the sights and people you encounter along the route.
- Rara Lake Trek is a stunning and satisfying adventure. You can enjoy the walk and create memories that will last a lifetime if you prepare properly.
What is the Best Season for Rara Lake Trekking?
Rara Lake Trekking is best done in the Spring (March to May) and Autumn (September to November). The weather is mild and bright throughout these hours, with clear skies and nice temperatures. Rhododendrons blossom in the spring and offer a splash of color to the landscape. The leaves change color in the autumn, giving a spectacular display of fall beauty.
The Monsoon Season (June to August) is not recommended for trekking in Rara National Park since the routes can become muddy and slippery, and landslides are possible. Winter (December to February) is also not ideal because the weather can be cold and snowy, with ice pathways.
It is especially important to remember that, while these are the best seasons, Rara Lake Trekking may be done all year. Other seasons, on the other hand, have their own set of considerations. As an example:
Summer (June to August) is monsoon season, with heavy rains and muddy routes. However, the location is extremely lush and provides a more peaceful trekking experience.
Winter (December to February) brings cold temperatures and significant snowfall, making the journey more difficult and less regular. It is necessary to have suitable winter trekking equipment and experience in snowy circumstances.
Overall, for the Rara Lake Trek, spring and autumn offer the ideal combination of excellent weather, natural beauty, and trekking conditions.
Climate and Weather of Rara Lake Trekking.
Rara Lake Trekking in Nepal's climate and weather might vary based on the season and altitude. Here's a rundown of the climate and weather conditions to expect during each season:
- Spring (March to May): Spring days are moderate and pleasant, with temperatures ranging from 10 to 20 degrees Celsius (50 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit). However, nights can still be cold, especially at higher elevations.
- Summer/Monsoon (June to August): The summer months bring warmer weather, with daytime temperatures in lower altitudes ranging from 15 to 25 degrees Celsius (59 to 77 degrees Fahrenheit). Temperatures might still be cool at greater altitudes.
- Autumn (September to November): Because of the favorable weather, autumn is considered the greatest time for Rara Lake Trekking. At lower altitudes, daytime temperatures range from 10 to 20 degrees Celsius (50 to 68 degrees Fahrenheit), with cold evenings. Higher elevations can be colder.
- Winter (December to February): Cold temperatures prevail, particularly at higher elevations. Daytime temperatures in lower places range from 5 to 15 degrees Celsius (41 to 59 degrees Fahrenheit), while higher altitudes might see freezing temperatures.
It's important to remember that weather in mountainous areas may be unpredictable, so check the local weather forecast and be prepared for changeable weather conditions during your Rara Lake Trekking Adventure.
Travel Insurance for Rara Lake Trekking.
Travel insurance is essential for every trip, but it is particularly important when trekking in Nepal. Rara Lake Trekking is a risky sport due to the high altitude and isolated location, and travel insurance can help you pay the costs of medical evacuation, lost luggage, and other unforeseen charges.
When looking for a travel insurance policy for Rara Lake Trekking, seek for one that provides the following:
- Medical Evacuation Coverage: This covers the cost of being airlifted to a hospital in Kathmandu or another major city in the event of a medical emergency.
- Trip Cancellation Coverage: Holiday cancellation insurance will cover the cost of your vacation if you have to cancel for any reason, such as illness, injury, or natural disaster.
- Coverage for Lost Luggage: This will cover the expense of replacing your lost luggage.
- Emergency Medical Aid: In the event of an emergency, you will have 24-hour access to medical advice and support.
It's also a good idea to get travel insurance that covers activities like trekking, hiking, and mountaineering. This sort of insurance often provides more coverage than a normal travel insurance policy.
Travel insurance can be purchased from a variety of firms, including online travel agencies, insurance companies, and travel agents. When comparing policies, evaluate coverage limits and deductibles. You should also analyze the company's reputation and track record of customer service.
Travel insurance is a vital investment that can help you financially protect yourself in the event of an unforeseen event. Before traveling to Nepal, be sure you have a coverage that covers your specific needs.
When selecting a travel insurance company, examine the coverage thoroughly and study the tiny print. You should also analyze the company's reputation and track record of customer service.
Accommodation of Rara Lake Trekking.
Due to the isolated and off-the-beaten-path character of Rara Lake Trekking, accommodation options are limited. Here is what you should expect in terms of lodging:
Teahouses/Lodges: Some settlements along the Rara Lake Trekking route have teahouses or lodges. These teahouses provide trekkers minimal lodging and meals. The facilities are basic and range in cleanliness and comfort. Rooms are often modest and simple, with twin beds or dormitory-style sleeping arrangements. Bedding, blankets, and pillows are normally provided, however a sleeping bag is recommended for increased comfort and warmth.
It is essential to remember that the accommodations in the Rara Lake area are poor and may lack amenities such as hot showers and Internet. Electricity may be limited or only accessible during certain hours. It's a good idea to have a headlamp or torch, as well as extra batteries. A backup power bank to charge your electrical devices is also a good idea.
While the accommodations are minimal, the natural beauty and tranquillity of the Rara Lake Region make the excursion worthwhile for explorers looking for an off-the-beaten-path adventure.